Sunday, August 9, 2009

Tourin' The Texas Burger Joints!

Some of you may know that two years ago, Derek and I decided to do the "Taco Tour ,07," which consisted of us visiting the top Taco places in Texas as listed by Texas Monthly. The number one place is in Dallas at a gas station on Industrial Blvd., and it earned every bit of first place! We also tried a diner in El Paso where we enjoyed a mariachi singer in full sequins and one in Houston where you ordered from the original roadside stand which was placed inside the nicer restaurant building. Of course there were many more on the list and several that we still eat at to this day. However, we never made it down the whole list like we had planned.

So, this last month Texas Monthly came out with their Top Burgers in Texas. And if you know anything about the Deckard's, you know that we like to laugh at potty humor and love a good burger! With the Texas Monthly list in hand, we are embarking on the Texas Burger Joint Tour '09 (please keep our arteries in your prayers)!

Our adventure began at the Alamo City Cafe in Fredericksburg, with their bacon cheese burger. Now, I must admit that their Green Chile burger was rated #3 on the list, but we couldn't pass up the burger we chose since it came served on a jalapeno cheddar bun. We give our word, that we will try to stick with the burger Texas Monthly specifically lists on their top 50. No burger is complete without a side of fries and here is where we went a little wild, folks. We did not order just any french fry basket at Alamo City...we ordered the battered fries. That's right, chicken-fried french fries with a side of ranch. The combination of a greasy burger and battered french fries was delicious!
Next we tried the Porch's Stodg burger here in Dallas. I have to admit that I was a bit leery of this burger as one of the toppings is a fried egg. After devouring the Stodg I began to wonder how I had lived 29 years without ever knowing the gloriousness that is a fried egg a top a greasy, cheesy burger. Superb!

This afternoon we made our third Burger Tour stop at The Grape, also located in Dallas on Greenville Avenue. I can honestly say that I have passed this restaurant many times and never imagined they would be the ones to serve the #1 burger in Texas, according to Texas Monthly. Oh, how I misjudged that book by it's cover! Their authentic white cheddar cheeseburger was topped with bacon that was cured on-site. Many of the other toppings, including the buns, are all local. Local bread and local veggies. And the pickles were outstanding. I would describe the pickle chip as a wonderful hybrid of the classic dill pickle and the sweet pickle. The Grape only serves this burger, accompanied with their hand-cut fries, during Sunday brunch and the place was packed with burger-eaters! I think everyone else enjoying the patio seating today was on their own Burger Tour, and many of them started by enjoying this first place winner.

So stay tuned for updates on our Burger Tour. We probably will not be able to try all 50 due to their locations, but we plan to hit all of the joints in the DFW, Houston, Austin and San Antonio area. Maybe we can even find a way to sneak up to Lubbock to enjoy their top burger with my family who lives there. We also love to have others join us on our adventures, so should you be up for greasy burger adventure, just give us a ring!

2 comments:

Shelley said...

You guys are so cute- I love it. I knew you were doing it, but the blog review of it is funny!

Brooke said...

So is the Lubbock joint called Spankies?! We used to go there all of the time. Their fried cheese is massive and even better than the burgers! One fall we need to go up for the TTU v A&M football game.